[geeks] Windows 64-bit insanity

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon May 11 10:03:39 CDT 2009

>> People actually do in-place upgrades of Windows?
>
> Yes.

I would have tried out the in-place upgrade at home if I had the option,
since I have 492GB of installed applications.  I can't begin to calculate
the time it's going to take me to get everything back up and running in a
clean installed OS.  (And I'm ignoring all the XP x64 systems at work...)

Compare that to my Mac, which I've upgraded from 68k to PowerPC to Intel,
from OS 7 to 8 to 9 to 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 to 10.5,
carrying my applications and data along the way for years.  I think Apple
deserves some serious credit.

- Nate