[geeks] Windows 64-bit insanity

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 05:58:32 CDT 2009

On May 10, 2009, at 11:35 AM, Aaron Finley <aaronfinley at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Michael-John Turner
> <mj at mjturner.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 12:55:11PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
>>> I suppose considering that Microsoft is only supporting in-place
>>> upgrades
>>> from Vista (not XP) to Windows 7, this shouldn't entirely surprise
>>> me, but
>>> the degree to which XP x64 users are being left high-and-dry is
>>> somewhat
>>> astounding, and really, for no good technical reason I can think
>>> of other
>>> than someone just didn't want to bother.
>
> People actually do in-place upgrades of Windows?

Yes.

Windows 95, XP, and Vista all have upgrade-only media/SKUs, they are
briefly popular when the new OS first is released, esp. among folks
that had recently bought a machine.

Vista has the concept on-demand upgrades that can be done at anytime,
just go to a website, pay a fee, and get a new product activation key.

Lionel