[geeks] Windows 64-bit insanity

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon May 11 11:22:25 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM,  <nate at portents.com> wrote:

> Compare that to my Mac, which I've upgraded from 68k to PowerPC to Intel,
> from OS 7 to 8 to 9 to 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 to 10.5,
> carrying my applications and data along the way for years.  I think Apple
> deserves some serious credit.

That's commendable, it's a shame not all people doing OS X upgrades
are as successful :o) Admittedly it's not usually Apple's fault, it's
probably a lingering piece of rogue software, like that APE stuff that
caused so many issues with 10.5 (it was a dirty hack anyway, I never
used it because I didn't trust it). It is very nice that even from a
fresh install of 10.5 you can suck your old settings and software in
off a Time Machine backup (I believe).

Personally I'm with the clean install crowd. I figure the time lost
installing apps again is downtime I can afford because it's assigned
to a task that I am 90% certain if the timescale and working of.
Chasing a gremlin around in circles in a system I've upgraded that's
fruited a loop is neither finite or predictable and also is damned
annoying. I don't really like taking that sort of risk. I'm paranoid,
and old fashioned, I know I am :o) A clean slate every so often is
needed on most of my computers anyway.

--

Mark