[geeks] Virtual Machine Hosting

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu May 7 09:50:44 CDT 2009

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone knows about what I'll call VM Hosting, where a
> CoLo facility runs a client-provided VM, I know they exist
> (lunahost.com is but one example) - anyone have any insight into this
> from a customers perspective?
>
> My concerns would be:
>
>  - Speed of VM, since you are sharing the host
>  - Network load handling (heaven forbid something I'm involved in gets popular!)
>  - Cost compared with other, more conventional shared hosting solution
>  - Any gotchas or suprises to be aware of
>
> I doubt I'll pull the trigger on my idea, but it has me thinking
> aboout this topic, and I want to follow this thread a bit further...

I've been using the v-colo service from Panix after finding out about
them on this list.  (Thanks, Sridhar!)  I've been very happy with the
service, and their pricing is right for my needs.  They don't say
anything about using client provided VM's, but based on some of the info
on their website, it sounds like they're willing to work with people
that have specific needs.  I'd suggest contacting them.  Although, you
didn't say what type of VM's you're looking to run (Xen? VMWare?
Hyper-V?) so that might not work for you.'

    -Dan Sikorski