[geeks] Ideal Humidity range for server rooms?

Bill Blum bill.blum at gmail.com
Wed May 6 07:43:52 CDT 2009

We've had some.... 'issues' with the A/C unit in our server room
recently.    Four times in past few months we've been alerted to temps in
excess of 90F/32C, and the humidity has gone as high as 70%.   ( Building
HVAC and plumbing FAIL. )

It's a small room ( approx 400 sq ft), so our single AC unit should in
theory fit the bill.     When it's *working*, it'll easily keep the ambient
air at 75F, and the area behind the server racks at about 78F.  Problem is,
the humidifier/dehumidifier functionality is somewhat problematic--- and for
bonus points, my boss is convinced anything about 35% RH is pure, total
evil.

Are there any whitepapers out there that have 'ideal' ranges for data
center/server room relative humidity???   I need something I can point to
and say that it's not so bad SO TURN OFF THE EMAIL ALERTS ABOUT 36% HUMIDITY
ALREADY.

--
Bill Blum
Bill.Blum at gmail.com