[geeks] Ideal Humidity range for server rooms?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 08:05:06 CDT 2009

On May 6, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Bill Blum <bill.blum at gmail.com> wrote:

> We've had some.... 'issues' with the A/C unit in our server room
> recently.    Four times in past few months we've been alerted to
> temps in
> excess of 90F/32C, and the humidity has gone as high as 70%.
> ( Building
> HVAC and plumbing FAIL. )
>

> It's a small room ( approx 400 sq ft), so our single AC unit should in
> theory fit the bill.     When it's *working*, it'll easily keep the
> ambient
> air at 75F, and the area behind the server racks at about 78F.
> Problem is,
> the humidifier/dehumidifier functionality is somewhat problematic---
> and for
> bonus points, my boss is convinced anything about 35% RH is pure,
> total
> evil.
>
> Are there any whitepapers out there that have 'ideal' ranges for data
> center/server room relative humidity???   I need something I can
> point to
> and say that it's not so bad SO TURN OFF THE EMAIL ALERTS ABOUT 36%
> HUMIDITY
> ALREADY.

Bill,

Recently Google shared a lot of info on their server environments,
including maintaining higher temps than most would find acceptable
(around 100 degrees Farenheit), maybe those releases also had humidity
info. If not, each manufacturer likely has a set of server room design
documents that MUST include relative humidity. Of course, they won't
go against Mfg. Recommendations, which should be in the docs for each
server you already have.

Lionel