[geeks] Dell T105 Server, CPU and RAM upgrade

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 14:06:52 CDT 2009

On Mar 19, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> No, I'm not.
>> It's provided as a Windows executable and I've not yet figured out
>> how to run it and install it.
>
> there is a linux version aswell.
>
>> That's one thing nice about Asus: a lot of their boards will
>> install firmware updates from floppy or USB drives from the BIOS
>> itself, no OS required.
>
> tell me about it, the other thing that really really annoys me is
> releasing updates which require floppies, really??, in this day & age?
> what's even more stupid is the server doesn't come with a floppy
> drive period, so.........
> go figure, dell, pushing the demand for floppy drives since apple
> demonstrated that you can have a system without a floppy disk!! :D

USB floppy drives are still quite useful, and many Dell servers (the
brand I'm most familiar with), have something called "VirtualFloppies"
that allows you to remotely load a floppy image on a server HD and
boot off it.

The have a similar function for CD images, but the name eludes me.

Can't you cut a BIOS update floppy on another machine and boot off that?

BTW, I like your T105 CPU upgrade - did you keep Dells fan/heatsink or
something else? I am considering upgrading my T105 to the Opteron 1356
for $134 from newegg.com (RAM is already maxed out)...

Also, the X1 HD tray arrived today - thanks!

Lionel