[geeks] Dell T105 Server, CPU and RAM upgrade

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 15:00:23 CDT 2009

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> USB floppy drives are still quite useful, and many Dell servers (the
> brand I'm most familiar with), have something called "VirtualFloppies"
> that allows you to remotely load a floppy image on a server HD and boot
> off it.

That's if you have the DRAC card, the problem is, the download for the
backplane update on certain systems is a .exe file which writes the
floppies for you, so unless you have a machine running windows with a
floppy drive, there is no way of being able to update the backplane
firmware, because you cant extract the floppy images. clever huh?
Then again, we are talking about the same idiots who have put the 10KB
readme txt file for the T105 MIBs into a selfextracting exe which takes
up 96KB & only allows windows users to view the txt file!! WTF!?!

http://tinyurl.com/c7qzp2
http://ftp.us.dell.com/sysman/DCMIB55R.exe

> The have a similar function for CD images, but the name eludes me.

I use it regularly to update the bios with a freedos iso