[geeks] freebsd and package tools

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Mar 11 18:49:22 CDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 19:16 , Michael-John Turner wrote:

>> I'm probably going to read through the pkg_add source code and see
>> if I
>> can figure out what it uses to determine the release name.
>
> The logic is based on the release - see the top of
> usr.sbin/pkg_install/add/main.c in the source tree.

Thanks for the pointer.

> It seems like you have
> two options:
> 1) set PACKAGESITE in, eg, /etc/environment

I've actually had a hard time getting it set with the standard /etc/
shell setup files for some odd reason.

More importantly though, some of the package stuff runs under sudo,
which restricts the env vars.

> 2) modify pkg_add
> Neither is ideal...

We have a custom FreeBSD tree, so that's doable.

I just think it is silly that this can't be easily controlled from /
etc.  Of course, I could be missing something obvious.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com