[geeks] freebsd and package tools

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Wed Mar 11 18:16:51 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 06:37:22PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> PACKAGEROOT just gives the base site to start with.  pkg_add uses
> internal logic to compute the full URL unless you set PACKAGESITE in your
> shell.

Indeed. I thought it would read PACKAGESITE from /etc/make.conf, but that
doesn't appear to be the case.

> I'm probably going to read through the pkg_add source code and see if I
> can figure out what it uses to determine the release name.

The logic is based on the release - see the top of
usr.sbin/pkg_install/add/main.c in the source tree. It seems like you have
two options:
1) set PACKAGESITE in, eg, /etc/environment
2) modify pkg_add
Neither is ideal...

-mj
--