[geeks] freebsd and package tools

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu Mar 12 04:21:31 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 07:49:22PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> More importantly though, some of the package stuff runs under sudo, which
> restricts the env vars.

You'll probably need to modify env_keep in your sudoers(5) to retain the
values in those environment variables.

> We have a custom FreeBSD tree, so that's doable.

Building a custom pkg_add should be pretty easy - changing releases[] so
that your release's directory is "packages-7-stable" should do it.

> I just think it is silly that this can't be easily controlled from /etc.
> Of course, I could be missing something obvious.

Indeed. I've had a dig through the source and it seems that the only way to
override the defaults is through environment variables.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner
mj at mjturner.net      <>  http://mjturner.net/