[geeks] Apple desktop refresh

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Mar 11 17:10:38 CDT 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 12:12 , nate at portents.com wrote:

>> Looks okay, nothing earth shattering though.
>
> Nice additions to the Mini:
>
> - two video outs for dual monitors
> - FW800 (vs FW400 in the old one)
> - NVIDIA 9400 graphics (finally half-decent on-board 3D)
> - 4GB max RAM (much more reasonable)
>
>> Bid out of the loop with Graphics cards... is the NVIDIA GT120 and
>> GT130
>> any good? IT seems to be a bit low-end.
>
> Well, what do you mean by low-end, really?
>
> NVIDIA has been continuing the rename game they (and ATI) have been
> playing for a while.

> The 9800 was a rename of the 8800

I know people that "upgraded" to the 9800.  Kinda sucks and I've also
heard Best Buy sales droids do the same thing, either out of ignorance
or malice, not sure which.

I thought it was an upgrade too, but I actually read the
specifications on the box and realized they were the same as my
existing card.

> and the GTS150 is
> going to be the rename of the 9800, while the GT120 is the 9500
> renamed
> and the GT130 is the 9600 renamed.

So the GTS2xx series is faster than the 8800/9800 series for real then?

nVidia and ATI both suck.

I remember 3dfx, even had stock in the company.  I used to talk to
their engineers, and they were always helpful even with really oddball
questions and non-supported OS issues.

nVidia killed them predatorily, stealing employees, lawyer attack, and
supply starvation.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com