[geeks] Apple desktop refresh

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:40:36 CST 2009

nate at portents.com wrote:
> Nice additions to the Mini:
>
> - two video outs for dual monitors
> - FW800 (vs FW400 in the old one)
> - NVIDIA 9400 graphics (finally half-decent on-board 3D)
> - 4GB max RAM (much more reasonable)

Suppose that lodges it nicely in the Home Cinema and light-weight gaming
market.

> Well, what do you mean by low-end, really?

Games-wsie as in doesn't offer the oomph to do the very latest games at
the very best graphics quality, resolutions (1080p) and framerates. As
far as desktop and video use goes the GT 1x0s are current generation and
are probably nice chipsets. I wonder if the latest offerings for the
Mini and Pro are HDCP enabled too...?

> NVIDIA has been continuing the rename game they (and ATI) have been
> playing for a while.  The 9800 was a rename of the 8800 and the GTS150 is
> going to be the rename of the 9800, while the GT120 is the 9500 renamed
> and the GT130 is the 9600 renamed.

Yeh that all got wildly confusing as ATi released a 9800, 9500 and 9200
years ago :P

> They're fine, not much to complain about for mid-range graphics. Need more
> details? I can supply links.

I get the picture. Apple fail on high-end graphics on the Mac Pro *again* :)

--

Mark Benson
http://markbenson.org/blog