[geeks] FreeBSD advice please?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Mar 10 12:49:19 CDT 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Well, it is .... it's just that it's not providing a lot of useful
> information.  "Intel Xeon 3.20GHz" liberally strewn with trademark
> symbols, and that's about it.

The support page for your motherboard says seems to indicate both that the
only 3.2GHz parts it supports are 800MHz FSB parts and that all those
parts are 64-bit capable.

> Yeah, I'm guessing that if a "Xeon with no further qualification
> 2.33GHz" supports amd64, then a "Xeon with no further qualification
> 3.20GHz" does.

That's not necessarily a valid assumption.  The E5345 is a 2007
"Clovertown" processor.  That 3.2GHz CPU is a Pentium 4-era "Dempsey" CPU.
Intel quit playing the "clock speed is everything" game when NetBurst ran
out of steam.  The 130nm 3.2 Xeon (533MHz FSB) was 32-bit only, as I
recall.

--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken