[geeks] FreeBSD, the saga continues

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Mar 10 14:32:59 CDT 2009

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm guessing that if a "Xeon with no further qualification
>> 2.33GHz" supports amd64, then a "Xeon with no further qualification
>> 3.20GHz" does.
>
> That's not necessarily a valid assumption.  The E5345 is a 2007
> "Clovertown" processor.  That 3.2GHz CPU is a Pentium 4-era "Dempsey" CPU.
> Intel quit playing the "clock speed is everything" game when NetBurst ran
> out of steam.  The 130nm 3.2 Xeon (533MHz FSB) was 32-bit only, as I
> recall.

And that may be what I have, as it'll boot into the installer from a
7.1R-i386 CD, as long as it's booted without ACPI (that's what the real
booting problem appears to be, not HT, so I've re-enabled HT), but not
from 7.1R-amd64.

And, go figure ....  now it's seeing all the disks on the 9500 again,
and booting without any errors from the 9500.  I really do not know
what's going on here.

It may be just my unfamiliarity with FreeBSD, but I'm finding this
highly frustrating.  But, at this point I have the first disk prepared
and it's installing i386 packages.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.