[geeks] FreeBSD advice please?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Mar 10 10:58:05 CDT 2009

nate at portents.com wrote:
>> Any pointers on finding out whether they have amd64 support?  If they
>> do, I'd sooner run amd64 binaries than i386.
>
> The BIOS should tell you what model of CPUs you have (either once you
> enter it, or on the splash screen, which you can pause by hitting the
> 'Pause' key on the keyboard to read it, and then hit space bar to
> continue).

Well, it is .... it's just that it's not providing a lot of useful
information.  "Intel Xeon 3.20GHz" liberally strewn with trademark
symbols, and that's about it.

> If for some reason your BIOS is totally brain-dead, just figure that if
> it's a P4-class or later, it probably has AMD64 (Intel started adding
> AMD's 64-bit architecture into theirs later in the Pentium 4 era,
> Xeon-class P4 being some of the first to get it).

Yeah, I'm guessing that if a "Xeon with no further qualification
2.33GHz" supports amd64, then a "Xeon with no further qualification
3.20GHz" does.  But I won't be really happy until I can get the cpuid
and stepping and know for sure what I'm dealing with.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.