[geeks] FreeBSD advice please?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Mar 10 10:44:14 CDT 2009

> Any pointers on finding out whether they have amd64 support?  If they
> do, I'd sooner run amd64 binaries than i386.

The BIOS should tell you what model of CPUs you have (either once you
enter it, or on the splash screen, which you can pause by hitting the
'Pause' key on the keyboard to read it, and then hit space bar to
continue).

If for some reason your BIOS is totally brain-dead, just figure that if
it's a P4-class or later, it probably has AMD64 (Intel started adding
AMD's 64-bit architecture into theirs later in the Pentium 4 era,
Xeon-class P4 being some of the first to get it).

- Nate