[geeks] Needed: A good sparc workstation

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Mon Mar 9 16:08:29 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 05:21:40PM +0000, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> Am curious about this now, so am going to have a fiddle tonight and see if
> it works for me (my HP 2133 is running Ubuntu 8.10 with the default GNOME
> desktop installed).

Well, I can confirm exactly what you described - my keyboard is hosed if I
login to the default GNOME desktop on my Ubuntu 8.10 system via XDMCP (OS X
10.5 server). Using VNC seems to work fine though, using the default Ubuntu
VNC server (System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop) and Chicken of the VNC
as the client.

Nasty that GNOME is so broken though. I guess the best solution is probably
to use X11 over ssh and start the GNOME desktop manually (using
gnome-session, for example).

This may work, but I didn't try it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vino/+bug/112955/comments/31

-mj