[geeks] Speaker Stands and Keyboards

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 10:53:07 CDT 2009

Dan Sikorski wrote:
>> This is a pretty high-budget theater (way over $5k), but even then
>> there are significant compromises.
 >
> You and I are probably in the same league for budget, but my purchases
> have been spread out over several years and honestly, I'm not sure I
> really want to think about the actual total.  I have listened to some
> dipole surround speakers, but I've never been too crazy about them.  A
> friend of mine has a Paradigm surround setup with dipole surrounds and
> I'm not very impressed by them.  That could just be those particular
> speakers or a preference though.  Did you do much listening before
> deciding on the dipoles?

Oh yes.  The setups I've found most impressive are the ones that use
multipolar speakers at various heights and depths to create a "cloud" of
sound for the surround channels.  I prefer it when I can't localize the
sounds coming from the surround channels.

Right now, I'm using horn-loaded speakers for increased efficiency,
since I can't afford to go crazy with high-watt amps, but the long-term
goal is to go with *big* amps and MartinLogan hybrid electrostats.
That's going to take a while, because it would put me well past $10k
(maybe past $15k) instead of well past $5k.

I just picked up a Sunfire True Sub about a week ago, but I've sold it
for way more than what I paid for it.  I'll see if I can get another (or
a high-end Velodyne, or a multi-driver MartinLogan).  It would be a
significant step up in bass reproduction over the Klipsch and Energy
subs I'm using now.  (Going from a pair of $500 subs to one or more
$3000 subs has that effect.)

Peace...  Sridhar