[geeks] Speaker Stands and Keyboards

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Jun 15 16:10:58 CDT 2009

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Dan Sikorski wrote:
>> I'm kinda wondering, I've been trying to put all of my speakers at
>> about ear level because my understanding is that it will result in
>> the best sound.  (Specifically, I'm trying to put the tweeter in each
>> speaker at ear level.)  What is your reasoning to wanting the
>> speakers that much higher?  I think your earlier post mentioned that
>> you were going to
>
> Because these aren't front speakers I'm trying to mount.  They're
> dipole surrounds.  They're not supposed to be at ear level.

Oh, i understand dipole speaker design, but the dipoles that i've seen
in the past (Paradigm) still seemed to be designed to be at ear level.
>> angle them down, but the disadvantage of that, in my mind, is that
>> you end up with a very specific location that has the speakers
>> aligned instead of having a bigger area.  I.E. if all of the speakers
>> are high and angled down, there is one spot in the middle that has
>> proper direction for all speakers, instead of an area.
>
> Unless they're multipolar, which makes them point in multiple
> directions.  These speakers produce a diffuse soundfield by design.
>
>> I'm guessing it's due to some practical limitations with your theatre
>> space or aesthetics.  It's a rare and high budget theatre that
>> doesn't have some sort of compromises.  I'm curious nonetheless.
>
> This is a pretty high-budget theater (way over $5k), but even then
> there are significant compromises.
You and I are probably in the same league for budget, but my purchases
have been spread out over several years and honestly, I'm not sure I
really want to think about the actual total.  I have listened to some
dipole surround speakers, but I've never been too crazy about them.  A
friend of mine has a Paradigm surround setup with dipole surrounds and
I'm not very impressed by them.  That could just be those particular
speakers or a preference though.  Did you do much listening before
deciding on the dipoles?

    -Dan Sikorski