[geeks] Speaker Stands and Keyboards

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 21:07:51 CDT 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just picked up a Sunfire True Sub about a week ago, but I've sold
> it for way more than what I paid for it.  I'll see if I can get
> another (or a high-end Velodyne, or a multi-driver MartinLogan).  It
> would be a significant step up in bass reproduction over the Klipsch
> and Energy subs I'm using now.  (Going from a pair of $500 subs to
> one or more $3000 subs has that effect.)

I remember visting a speaker component shop in Rochester about 20
years ago, and the woman there was working on a 15-18" subwoofer, with
a voice coil that had the same diameter as a large peanut can (maybe
5-6" across) - we asked her about the speaker and she said
(repeatedly) that it was not for sale, though we never asked about
price...

It was an awfully big speaker!

Lionel

(oh my gosh, I just cut text on my iPhone, amazing! First-gen iPhone)