[geeks] Speaker Stands and Keyboards

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 15:42:31 CDT 2009

Dan Sikorski wrote:
> I'm kinda wondering, I've been trying to put all of my speakers at about
> ear level because my understanding is that it will result in the best
> sound.  (Specifically, I'm trying to put the tweeter in each speaker at
> ear level.)  What is your reasoning to wanting the speakers that much
> higher?  I think your earlier post mentioned that you were going to

Because these aren't front speakers I'm trying to mount.  They're dipole
surrounds.  They're not supposed to be at ear level.

> angle them down, but the disadvantage of that, in my mind, is that you
> end up with a very specific location that has the speakers aligned
> instead of having a bigger area.  I.E. if all of the speakers are high
> and angled down, there is one spot in the middle that has proper
> direction for all speakers, instead of an area.

Unless they're multipolar, which makes them point in multiple
directions.  These speakers produce a diffuse soundfield by design.

> I'm guessing it's due to some practical limitations with your theatre
> space or aesthetics.  It's a rare and high budget theatre that doesn't
> have some sort of compromises.  I'm curious nonetheless.

This is a pretty high-budget theater (way over $5k), but even then there
are significant compromises.

Peace...  Sridhar