[geeks] Speaker Stands and Keyboards

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Jun 15 10:46:03 CDT 2009

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

>>> This, unfortunately, isn't a speaker stand.  It's a wall mount.  It
>>> also doesn't have nearly the capacity I need.
>>
>> Probably not helpful, but on that page were links to stands.
>>
>>> You see my problem.  8-)
>>
>> Yep.  I'm always running into problems like that.  Most people just
>> compromise, but I can't stand not getting exactly what  want.
>
> I'd be willing to compromise *somewhat*, but the kinds of things I
> find readily aren't even *close* to what I'm looking for.

I'm kinda wondering, I've been trying to put all of my speakers at about
ear level because my understanding is that it will result in the best
sound.  (Specifically, I'm trying to put the tweeter in each speaker at
ear level.)  What is your reasoning to wanting the speakers that much
higher?  I think your earlier post mentioned that you were going to
angle them down, but the disadvantage of that, in my mind, is that you
end up with a very specific location that has the speakers aligned
instead of having a bigger area.  I.E. if all of the speakers are high
and angled down, there is one spot in the middle that has proper
direction for all speakers, instead of an area.

I'm guessing it's due to some practical limitations with your theatre
space or aesthetics.  It's a rare and high budget theatre that doesn't
have some sort of compromises.  I'm curious nonetheless.

    -Dan Sikorski