[geeks] Colocation

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 21:24:37 CST 2009

Dan Sikorski wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a colocation host for work ...
>>>
>>> - they provide the box.
>>> - not located in Wisconsin, Northern California, Colorado, North
>>> Carolina or Idaho. [1]
>>
>> I'm quite happy with the virtual colocation service of Panix, which is
>> in New York City.  They have traditional colocation services too, but
>> the virtual service is substantially less expensive.  Depending on how
>> much traffic you're dealing with, it might be an option.
>>
>> http://www.panix.com/
> I had been considering getting service form slicehost, but panix's
> storage, RAM, and transfer are a little better and they have much better
> OS choices.
> How long have you been using their virtual colocation?  Any complaints
> or comments on it?  Anyone know of any other competing providers i
> should consider?  (I'm looking at the cheapest plans for each place, so
> cost is probably the biggest issue to me.)

More than a year, less than two.  I'm not particularly familiar with
other vendors.  I picked PANIX because, as you said, it's a little
cheaper, and plus, they're local to me.  I live in the New York metro.

PANIX is extremely hacker-friendly.  Just about all account
administration can be done via a shell.

Peace...  Sridhar