[geeks] OT Question - workhorse laptop

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 01:59:26 CST 2009

On 17 Dec 2009, at 01:55, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I'm looking to get a new 'workhorse' laptop, and I find myself looking at
two HP laptops, but I've no history with their HW - so I'm looking for
feedback on the brand and these two lines of laptops.

My immediate thought was for the spec that was awfully cheap. It's usually a
bad sign to be honest.

First thing I think of when I hear 'Workhorse' is 'Thinkpad'. If you need a
rock solid Windows laptop Lenovo Thinkpads are hard to beat. I am starting to
love Lenovo generally, their IBM heritage still shines in a lot of their
products and it really puts them a cut above the rest of the dross when it
comes to reliability and maintenance.

Not sure of specific models as we don't deal with laptops at work. Avoid AMD
CPUs, they've historically not worked well in laptops, Intel's laptop
chipset/CPU combos tend to be easier on battery life.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>