[geeks] My Dell Mini 9 (or Latitude 910) netbook arrived today...

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Sep 24 10:15:36 CDT 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>    No, the lack of function keys isn't bothering me, but I plan on mainly
>    using it for use around $WORK to access a trouble ticket system and
>    emails, not even for serial console access of network equipment, so Fn
>    keys don't mean much to me.

I tend to use the F4 and F5 keys a lot, that's probably my only concern
about that machine.
>    I'll likely run WinXP Pro, so I can join $WORKs domain and access
>    network resources.
>
>    If $WORK gets me one for use there, I'll probably transition mine to
>    Linux...

Does XP seem pretty responsive on the machine for typical web browsing
and email?  I figured that it wouldn't be.  Also, what size SSD did you
get, and how much of it is used just with windows and the preloaded
software?  Is there anything preloaded that is specific to the machine
and particularly useful, or just the usual crap?
>    Also, it seems 2 Gig RAM upgrade is possible, so if ordering the
>    system, get minimal RAM and then upgrade - it is trivial, and a 2 Gig
>    SoDIMM is under $50.

I figured that i would likely do that anyway.  I can pull a 2GB sodimm
from my regular laptop to try it out...

I think i may finally order one this week.  I had been holding off some
to see if there would be any other good promos on it that i could take
advantage of, but it doesn't look like anything has come up.

    -Dan