[geeks] My Dell Mini 9 (or Latitude 910) netbook arrived today...

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Sep 24 10:41:52 CDT 2008

> Does XP seem pretty responsive on the machine for typical web browsing
> and email?  I figured that it wouldn't be.

Speaking as someone who has an Acer Aspire One (which I like better than
the Dell) which came with XP (so I could get 1GB of RAM and a 120GB HD),
the few minutes I used XP it seemed fine.  Then I blew it away and
installed Ubuntu, which has been good.  OpenOffice, Firefox (including
YouTube and Hulu), etc. all work fine in Linux, and I expect they'd be
about the same in XP.  Just don't try to playback HD video or do anything
3D intensive and a 1.6Ghz Atom is good for typical desktop stuff.

- Nate