[geeks] Mr Bill?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 05:58:28 CDT 2008

On Sep 19, 2008, at 5:12 AM, "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at artell.net> wrote:

> Quoth wa2egp at att.net ...
>
>> (How many people today remember gas at < $.30/gal?)
>
> In the USA?  Everyone over 60, at the very least, in most of the
> country.
> Maybe 55.  In other words, lots of folks.

And what was the prevailing wage when gas was less than 30 cents a
gallon? Gas isn't that expensive, once you adjust for inflation - I
think the recent high-point was during the oil embargo in the late
1970's.

I remember prices as low as 55 cents per gallon, but by the time I
learned to drive, it was close to 90 cents (when I learned to drive,
it was about $18-20 to fill the tank of my stationwagon.

My co-workers think it is a plan by one political party to lower gas
prices for the election - they choose to ignore the fact that as the
price crossed $4.50 a gallon people drove less, bought less gas and
caused the price to drop due to supply and demand.

Finally, I'd be interested in the average price for a barrel of oil,
not the spot market price. It's like tracking the price of soda by the
cost for a coke from hotel room service...

Lionel