[geeks] Mr Bill?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Fri Sep 19 04:12:28 CDT 2008

 Quoth wa2egp at att.net ...

>(How many people today remember gas at < $.30/gal?)

In the USA?  Everyone over 60, at the very least, in most of the country.
Maybe 55.  In other words, lots of folks.

In other parts of the world, the number will vary widely, since gasoline's
price at the pump is more a function of political factors than economic
ones.

Here in France, for example, gasoline currently runs about US$8.00 per US
gallon.  I expect, but do not really know, that it has always been about
twice the price here as in the USA, primarily as a result of taxes.
Although I have seen old pictures of sub-one-franc-per-litre prices posted
at gas stations, and the Franc was always fairly cheap against the dollar,
in buying-power terms, that was probably still a real chunk out of a
Frenchman's wallet.

On the other hand, isn't gasoline in Nicaragua (or somplace Latin like that)
still in the under-a-dollar range?  It's probably cheap in Kuwait, too.

-Shel