[geeks] Mr Bill?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Fri Sep 19 06:13:24 CDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 06:58:28AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>And what was the prevailing wage when gas was less than 30 cents a
>gallon? Gas isn't that expensive, once you adjust for inflation - I
>think the recent high-point was during the oil embargo in the late
>1970's.

In 1973, I was making $9k a year as a progammer. That came out after
taxes to $450 a month. That was roughly equivalent to what both of my
parents were making combined.

Their biggest single expense was rent for a two bedroom "garden apartment",
with heat (a big deal in Philly) and hot water, all taxes, maintainence,
etc was $145 per month. There was no such thing as a "condo fee", in those
days (it wasn't a codo anyway).

The only utilites they paid were electricity (lights, refrigerator, etc),
telephone, which were both under $20, and cooking gas which was around $3.

Geoff.