[geeks] power (was Mr. Bill)

Barry Keeney barryk at chaoscon.com
Wed Sep 17 17:09:30 CDT 2008

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Barry Keeney wrote:
> >   It costs more to install and repair underground power systems. It's
> > not so bad when you're building lots of new homes. You going to install
> > some kind of power infrastructure anyway. So for new stuff, yea, should
> > put it underground, where possible.
>
> Data point:
> Where we lived in North Carolina, the power was overhead, the phone
> lines were underground.  40-year-old dry pair that spent a week
> underwater every time a bad hurricane went over the area.
>
> This was why we could get 8 kilobits dial-up on a *good* day (where an
> essential part of the definition of "good day" was "it hasn't rained in
> at least a week").

   Well I know how you feel. All my utils are underground and my phone
runs from a large box in my back yard (feeds 8-10 houses). I had the same
problem until they had to replace the cable trunk, they had run out of
*working* pairs.

   I guess you're not getting DSL from them, Well unless they think 8k
is "Fast" :^)

PS: My phone company still thinks I can only get 256k DSL on my phone
    line. I get DSL from a third party company at 1.5m over the same phone
    line and phone company installed it! 5+ years ago!

Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting
email barryk at chaoscon.com

"Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."