[geeks] power (was Mr. Bill)

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Sep 17 18:39:23 CDT 2008

Barry Keeney wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Data point:
>> Where we lived in North Carolina, the power was overhead, the phone
>> lines were underground.  40-year-old dry pair that spent a week
>> underwater every time a bad hurricane went over the area.
>>
>> This was why we could get 8 kilobits dial-up on a *good* day (where an
>> essential part of the definition of "good day" was "it hasn't rained in
>> at least a week").
>
>    Well I know how you feel. All my utils are underground and my phone
> runs from a large box in my back yard (feeds 8-10 houses). I had the same
> problem until they had to replace the cable trunk, they had run out of
> *working* pairs.
>
>    I guess you're not getting DSL from them, Well unless they think 8k
> is "Fast" :^)

There was no DSL in Greenville.  Period.

('Course, we don't have DSL here in Gilford, NH either.  Too far from
the CO.  Right now it's cable or nothing.  Word is still out on whether
Fairpoint will expand and extend the existing Verizon FiOS plant, but
they're promising to have broadband throughout New Hampshire by 2010.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.