[geeks] power (was Mr. Bill)

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Sep 17 15:58:00 CDT 2008

Barry Keeney wrote:
>   It costs more to install and repair underground power systems. It's
> not so bad when you're building lots of new homes. You going to install
> some kind of power infrastructure anyway. So for new stuff, yea, should
> put it underground, where possible.

Data point:
Where we lived in North Carolina, the power was overhead, the phone
lines were underground.  40-year-old dry pair that spent a week
underwater every time a bad hurricane went over the area.

This was why we could get 8 kilobits dial-up on a *good* day (where an
essential part of the definition of "good day" was "it hasn't rained in
at least a week").

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.