[geeks] power (was Mr. Bill)

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Wed Sep 17 13:44:01 CDT 2008

>> Why can't this vulnerability in our infrastructure be fixed?
>
> 1.  Horribly expensive to retrofit existing infrastructure.
>
> 2.  Whiny people who dont want to give up 12' of their land so that
> there's
> places to bury the cables.

There is already a utility right-of-way on most property because of
gas and water lines; the issue is the running of the line from the
right-of-way to the house; someone's yard will need to be dug up. If
done as a neighborhood-by-neighborhood campaign the value of
uninterrupted power could easily be sold. The cost of the outages
would offset the cost of installation, I'm thinking.

-Jon