[geeks] power (was Mr. Bill)

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Wed Sep 17 12:38:26 CDT 2008

I wrote the following letter to the editor (unpublished) right as
Ike's remnants were hitting Indianapolis (leaving almost 400,000
people in Indiana without power.)

Gustav, Ike, Katrina and several nameless tornadoes around central
Indiana all reek havoc on hard-working citizens and businesses alike.
Heart-breaking tales of lost homes, cherished possessions and injured
loved-ones break hearts and evoke strong emotions. In the midst of all
this tragedy I began to wonder about a practical and mundane matter;
electricity. We have overhead power lines across much of the United
States, and as we've seen they're extremely vulnerable to the elements
and even an errant motorist. Given we've had about a century to
perfect electric generation and transmission in this country why can't
we bury power lines to ensure continuous operation in times of peril?
The cost of constant repairs after storms should balance the cost on
the burial and management of the cables. Additionally, continual
electrical service will enable water treatment plants, gas stations,
and other essentials key to modern living to continue operations
throughout disasters. Why can't this vulnerability in our
infrastructure be fixed?