[geeks] power (was Mr. Bill)

John Francini francini at mac.com
Wed Sep 17 12:53:55 CDT 2008

> Gustav, Ike, Katrina and several nameless tornadoes around central
> Indiana all reek havoc on hard-working citizens and businesses alike.

The debris left behind after a storm can indeed reek after the storm
has wreaked its havoc.

> Heart-breaking tales of lost homes, cherished possessions and
> injured loved-ones break hearts and evoke strong emotions. In the
> midst of all this tragedy I began to wonder about a practical and
> mundane matter; electricity. We have overhead power lines across
> much of the United States, and as we've seen they're extremely
> vulnerable to the elements and even an errant motorist. Given we've
> had about a century to perfect electric generation and transmission
> in this country why can't we bury power lines to ensure continuous
> operation in times of peril? The cost of constant repairs after
> storms should balance the cost on the burial and management of the
> cables. Additionally, continual electrical service will enable water
> treatment plants, gas stations, and other essentials key to modern
> living to continue operations throughout disasters. Why can't this
> vulnerability in our infrastructure be fixed?

I don't understand this either. The only places that seem to
consistently bury utilities are planned upscale housing developments,
condo complexes, and the downtown/central areas of cities.  The rest
of the country's utility companies seem to be content with putting
wires on sticks and wondering why they come down in hurricanes/
tornadoes/ice storms.

john