[geeks] Mr Bill?

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Sep 17 12:33:26 CDT 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 11:16 , Ido Dubrawsky wrote:

> When Isabel hit the DC area in 2003 we were without power for just 3
> days
> (and we live further out in the "burbs" than the equivalent place
> where
> my parents live in Houston).

Isabel lost a lot of power beating the hell out of SEVA first...

Parts of SEVA were without power for a month after Isabel.

> Hell, I remember when Hurricane Alica hit
> Houston in 1982 and we were only without power for about 3 days.
> And Alicia
> was a Category 3 hurricane.  Looks like when Houston Lighting &
> Power became
> Reliant energy it also no longer was so reliable!

That might be unfair.

You can see the same thing in Virginia comparing power outtages from
past hurricanes to recent ones.

A lot of the problem is that there is far more power grid and
population now than there was just 25 years ago, so it's a naturally
more difficult job.

That's the biggest threat from hurricanes.  Most people are worried
about them increasing in number and size, but a bigger threat is our
expanding coastal city infrastructure and population.