[geeks] [rescue] Sun Ray desktop replacement or wide-scale implementation?

D.A. Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Tue Sep 16 17:19:55 CDT 2008

Quoting "Sridhar Ayengar" <ploopster at gmail.com>:

> Brooke Gravitt wrote:
>> Does anyone have experience with either replacing desktops with Sun Rays
or
>> doing a large implementation? We're looking for some anecdotes, warts and
>> all, about an implementation. What's cool, what's awful, etc. Things we'd
>> like to know are if anyone's using them in place of on-call laptops,
>> accessing Citrix/Windows RDP through them, etc.
>
> I have that experience.  It does most things perfectly.  Don't try
> to do video.  Some kinds of flash pages can be a bit slow too.  CAD
> sucks on them.  Other than that, it should be ok.  The Windows RDP
> thing works pretty well.  To sum up, it works well if you aren't
> doing anything graphics-intensive.

If multimedia is important, there's an alternate flash image available
for newer SunRays and the ?Fujitsu?-compatibles that will do it. I'll
see if I can dig the company name up tomorrow at work. Otherwise, I
concur with Sridhar; it's a good solution, and can be made reasonably
secure. The SRSS server will even run on TX quite nicely.

Dave

--
Sapere Aude!