[geeks] The best things in the world

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Sep 11 15:25:52 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 03:01:20PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> <quote>
>   Imagine a world without Linux.
> </quote>
>
> Isn't that a bit like imagining a world without herpes?  Of all the Unix
> and Unix-like OSes I've run into, the ones based around the Linux kernel
> tend to be the least organized, least documented, least user-friendly[0],
> most contorted, most obfuscated, and most bloated.

<snip>

> Thanks, but I'll stick with OS X, BSD, and Solaris.

I find it hard to believe that we would have affordable choice if it
weren't for linux.  I tend to think that it is because of linux that I
realisticly have the choice of not using Windows (or linux) at home
(OSX, BSD, and Solaris.  I do have some linux machines, but I don't
think any of them have been turned on for more than two months).

Plus, FWIW, OSX, BSD, and Solaris would all be unsuitable for my current
project at work.  BSD and Solaris because they don't even make a
pretense of handling realtime tasks, and OSX because of lack of hardware
choice and cost.