[geeks] The best things in the world

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Sep 11 15:01:20 CDT 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20579/1141/

<quote>
   Imagine a world without Linux.
</quote>

Isn't that a bit like imagining a world without herpes?  Of all the Unix
and Unix-like OSes I've run into, the ones based around the Linux kernel
tend to be the least organized, least documented, least user-friendly[0],
most contorted, most obfuscated, and most bloated.

Everything I loved about Linux started to die around the year 2000.  It
stopped trying to be a decent free workstation/server operating system and
started trying to be a Windows rip-off (and, in the process, tend to
consume more memory and perform less fluidly for equivalent desktop
tasks).  If I want Windows, I know where to find it.

Thanks, but I'll stick with OS X, BSD, and Solaris.

[0] Except for possibly PHUX 10, which I still maintain at $ork.
--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi