[geeks] The best things in the world

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Sep 11 15:37:59 CDT 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> Thanks, but I'll stick with OS X, BSD, and Solaris.
>
> I find it hard to believe that we would have affordable choice if it
> weren't for linux.

Why?  4.3BSD predates Linux.  Yggdrasil Linux just barely came out before
NetBSD 0.8.  FreeBSD 1.0 and Slackware 1.0 were released within months of
each other.  NetBSD and FreeBSD had several releases before Red Hat Linux
1.0 was released.

> I tend to think that it is because of linux that I realisticly have the
> choice of not using Windows (or linux) at home (OSX, BSD, and Solaris.

OS X isn't an outgrowth of Linux, it's an outgrowth of NeXTstep and Mach.

> Plus, FWIW, OSX, BSD, and Solaris would all be unsuitable for my current
> project at work.

I suspect Windows SBS would be, too.  Real-time systems are a completely
separate discussion.  If Linux is a halfway decent RTOS, the world would
be better served by it sticking to that, rather than being a poor
workstation OS.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi