[geeks] laser for pointing out stars

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:15:45 CDT 2008

I need a green laser pointer for pointing stars so that a group of
people can quickly identify which I'm talking about. Years ago there
was a 5mw restriction on pointers. And I think that a portable laser >
5mw had to have a keyswitch and a dongle and autoshutoff. Is this
still the case? I know that 5mw with a green laser is usually enough,
but I've heard from many people that 10 mw is probably more useful.

Somebody mentioned wicked laser a year or two ago on this list. I also
found: http://yhst-1469288697390.stores.yahoo.net/grlapo101.html but
out of stock. At $64 for 10mw it looked like a good price.

They have a 20mw in stock
http://yhst-1469288697390.stores.yahoo.net/grlapo20.html but that
seems a bit rude. I dont want to be annoying a ton of people.

Wicked laser are "OEM" vendors. So they are technically not pointers
and not required to have any safety features. I dont know if the above
have safety features or not and if they are required.

Anyway, anybody using a 5mw? sufficient for pointing stars? 10mw?
where you got it?