[geeks] laser for pointing out stars

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Sep 2 22:38:02 CDT 2008

From: "Francois Dion" <francois.dion at gmail.com>

> I need a green laser pointer for pointing stars so that a group of
> people can quickly identify which I'm talking about. Years ago there
> was a 5mw restriction on pointers. And I think that a portable laser >
> 5mw had to have a keyswitch and a dongle and autoshutoff. Is this
> still the case? I know that 5mw with a green laser is usually enough,
> but I've heard from many people that 10 mw is probably more useful.
>
> Somebody mentioned wicked laser a year or two ago on this list. I also
> found: http://yhst-1469288697390.stores.yahoo.net/grlapo101.html but
> out of stock. At $64 for 10mw it looked like a good price.
>
> They have a 20mw in stock
> http://yhst-1469288697390.stores.yahoo.net/grlapo20.html but that
> seems a bit rude. I dont want to be annoying a ton of people.
>
> Wicked laser are "OEM" vendors. So they are technically not pointers
> and not required to have any safety features. I dont know if the above
> have safety features or not and if they are required.
>
> Anyway, anybody using a 5mw? sufficient for pointing stars? 10mw?
> where you got it?

I got one from eBay a while back.  I think it was just a 5 mW one that could be cranked up without losing the magic smoke.  I did get a 5mW one that had instructions on how to crank up the power.  Of course you could fry the module or shorten the life of the laser.  Certainly shortened battery life.

Bob