[geeks] education systems around the world

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Oct 23 11:32:44 CDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:19:53AM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
>I just got a call from my sister, asking me if I knew how many other
>countries provided universal (public/gov't) education to its citizens
>like the United States does.  I'm not looking for a discussion on the
>merits of such a system, just if they do such things in the EU, the
>UK, Israel, Japan, etc.

Israel sort of. It's free but you pay fees to the school for "extras",
buy your own books, etc. Figure on about $100 a month in fees, and
$400 a year in books. It also only runs until about 6th grade, after which
it is optional and not always free.

There are several public school systems, the state, the state religeous,
and the ultra orthodox. They have different curicula. There are also state
supported private schools.

Special education is another matter. Jerusalem and Tel Aviv have the best
special education systems, equal to or better than any in the world. Other
parts of the country have lesser to none.

Geoff.