[geeks] IRQL_NOT_OR_LESS_EQUAL

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Thu Oct 2 02:39:18 CDT 2008

> This is more likely to be it, since I've taken a Windows Embedded
> install meant for one motherboard, and transplanted it into another.

Oh my... and you didn't use sysprep first or do an in-place upgrade?  Then
you are just asking for trouble.

How to use sysprep in this case:

<http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-48387-How-To-Swap-motherboard-without-clean-or-upgrade-installing-Windows.html>

Microsoft's docs on sysprep:

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302577>

Microsoft's docs on in-place upgrades:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341>

Though you should probably do a full run at least once of Memtest86+ to
rule out memory issues:

<http://www.memtest.org/>

I just can't emphasize enough how important it is to not just blindly swap
motherboards with the same OS install in Windows... you want to see some
of the wreckage, just set the environment variable
DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES to 1 and then show hidden devices in the
device manager... and trust me, that's not all the mess!

- Nate