[geeks] IRQL_NOT_OR_LESS_EQUAL

Jon Gilbert jjj at io.com
Thu Oct 2 01:21:03 CDT 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 10:44 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Bad memory may be the #1 cause, but it's very shortly followed by
> the #2
> cause of bad kernel-mode drivers.  In this instance "bad" means
> defective, incompatible with the current service pack, incompatible
> with
> other kernel-mode drivers, or expecting a different HAL.

This is more likely to be it, since I've taken a Windows Embedded
install meant for one motherboard, and transplanted it into another.
Then I ran the motherboard installers for the drivers for the new
motherboard. But maybe there's some incompatibilities... which is odd,
because it boots up and runs fine for awhile, but randomly if left
alone to sit idly, it randomly BSoDs like I mentioned. So... how would
I know if the kernel-mode drivers were "bad"? How would I replace them
with good ones? I've run my motherboard's installer CD, and it says
that it's compatible with Windows XP. Granted, it's SP1... but
still... the drivers don't say they're incompatible with that.

We'll see if the new RAM fixes it; if not then I suspect this is the
issue. Because the mystery "Unknown" hardware device is amongst the
ACPI devices, it leads me to believe it's a kernel driver-mode thing.
Since if that thing lacks a driver, and it's something that is
necessary to make the system run correctly... then... if it didn't
have a driver, why *wouldn't* the system BSoD? The problem I'm running
into is just exactly how to find a freaking driver for it, or even
find out what it is. Thanks for any help.

-
Jon Gilbert
PGP fingerprint: 7FA9 B168 73CA A698 DD9E  2DF2 EE1A 3E73 3119 741F