[geeks] [rescue] Airport Security and Rescues...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Mar 30 03:32:11 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 08:30:57AM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:

> That may well be the Orthodox position; I doubt the Catholics see it
> the same way. Besides it was more a case the Orthodox churches didn't
> agree to merge (the early bishoprics were very independent). They
> weren't the only ones, and not even the first (Assyrian Church).

Before that there was the Jerusalem Church, who were JEWISH followers of
Yeshua* ben Josaf (Jousha son of Joseph), who after his death believed he
was the messiah.

Most of his followers did not, they were Jews who just wandered off
and continued to be Jewish with no changes.

In law, the Jewish relegion is basicly unchanged since Mount Siani, when
the 613 commandments were given to Moses. In pratice it has changed due
to interperation of the law.

It is important to note that when the first temple was destroyed, about
2500 years ago it is believed to have been taken to what is now
Ethiopia. Where it is now is the subject of lots of conjecture and a
movie I'm sure you are all familiar with.**

When the Ethiopian Jews were brought here, it was found that they
followed differenet practices, but basicly the same laws and were by
modern standards Jews.

Although Mike and I have had discussions off list about the differences
between Pauline Christianity and Judaism, I think it's only appropriate
to say that from a Jewish perspective, modern Christianity is loosely
based upon it, just as it is loosely based upon the worship of Isis
and the cult of Mithra.

Geoff.

* Yeshua is a variation of Yehosua, sort of like Will or Bill is a
variation of William.

** Indiana Jones was based upon Vendell Jones, a non Jewish Texan,
who is searching for the spice used as incense in the Temple. He refused
to allow Speilberg to use him as the basis of the movie, so Vendell became
Indiana, the spice became the ark, and instead of modern time, the movie
was set in the 1930's.