[geeks] Paul Graham essay [was: linkedin.com - Social Networking for Business]

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Mar 24 12:37:05 CDT 2008

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:34:11PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> That's strange, because in my experience, companies no longer want
>> workers forever.  They seem to want to get rid of them as soon as they
>> can, and by all appearances do their best to keep the revolving door
>> HR system in effect.
>
> However, they want to define the speed of that revolving door. They may
> only want you for a year for a project, but if for some reason that project
> were to stretch to 2 or even 5 years, they want you to be able to stay.

I have come to the conclusion that most businesses above a certain size
don't really know what they are doing.

Institutional memory somehow persists, and that in combination with
customer inertia and decent financial controls is what keeps them in
business.

As a result they have the mental model that people are snap-in
components like Lego blocks.

This opinion piece by Paul Graham has some bits of truth in it:

http://paulgraham.com/boss.html

--Patrick