[geeks] Paul Graham essay [was: linkedin.com - Social Networking for Business]

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Mar 24 13:10:07 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 01:37:05PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> As a result they have the mental model that people are snap-in
> components like Lego blocks.
>
> This opinion piece by Paul Graham has some bits of truth in it:
>
> http://paulgraham.com/boss.html

I understand this exactly. I was talking with someone to CEO a startup
I'm involved in. He had a wonderful resume, and a lot of relevant
experience.

In the end it did not work out because he had that mentality. He had worked
for a large computer company, and was comfortable being under 14 or more
layers of managment.

I've never been, even when I worked for companies with 30,000 employees,
I was never more than 5 managers under the CEO, and in some cases 2-3.

Geoff.