[geeks] Doorbells

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 20 21:15:23 CDT 2008

>From: David Muran-de Assereto <dmuran at tuad.org>
>Date: 2008/03/20 Thu AM 07:34:40 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Doorbells

<snip>

>How about a doormat with "Step here to ring bell"? I'd like something
>like that, since the delivery people around here don't know what a
>doorbell or knocker is for.

What, in just English?

If I were going to fiddle with the normal doorbell paradigm, I think I'd go with a CCTV camera focused on the porch with a "hot zone" defined and trigger a recording of a bell (or other sound effect) when motion is detected in a defined area - and for the true "candid camera" effect, I'd put no button, knocker, or anything else on the front door...

That could be fun, esp. on Halloween ;^)

You could have unconventional sounds, like one of a couple arguing, quickly escalating to a single gun shot sound... Of course, you'd *have to* keep a hand gun by the door so you could have it in your hand as you answer the door...

Lionel